Sunday, March 14, 2010

Check yourself before you...

I have developed a loose checklist of things in my life that are out of line, or not as they should be. Over the next year I plan on rectifying as many of them as I can. It started with weight loss 20 lbs, thank you, then smoking 80 some odd days, then less weed, blah blah blah. The point is: one by one I'm taking the necessary steps and knocking them down. I really am. I have 3 beat and 2 underway, 5 or 6 remain, some are more long-term.

The method that seems to be working is:

I dwell on a point of change, let it rattle in he back of my brain for a few weeks. As time passes my usual lucid wandering inevitably leads to whatever it is I've been obsessing over (this is how I always wrote papers in college). It gets to the point where I get so completely annoyed with having to think about it, that it needs to be amputated.

I read somewhere, in terms of human behavior it takes about 21 days for us to adapt to a change in our lives eg. new work schedule, exercise routine, not smoking. I'm not certain if it's true, but the placebo effect works well for me on this. So, I take the leap of change one at a time. After a few weeks I feel like I have a grip on it and begin to pat myself on the back. Maybe go buy some new kicks to celebrate. I ride out my gold star award for a time and let myself feel pretty good about it. Then I go back to step one to plug the next hole in my bucket

There are some longer term items that simply cant be handled this way. Like my credit card debt. I deal with it though. I make a bigger payment on one every month. It'll take a while.

I'm waking up from a long period of unconscious living. When I initially knocked the crud from my lashes morning's bright light nearly drove me insane. My life was laid bare past and future, and it looked bad naked. Instead of a walk of shame, I put my clothes on and made breakfast so I could think about how to make it work.

I'll write about chicks soon, I mean there were 2 blizzards for crying out loud! I wasn't about to be alone for those.

No comments: